Services & Departments
Projects That Require a Building Permit
Under the Ontario Building Code Act, a building permit is required to construct, demolish, renovate, alter, install or change the use of a building. The following is a list of typical projects or situations that require the issuance of a building permit prior to construction:
- New buildings or structures greater than 10 square metres (108 ft²) in area, measured by the outside dimensions. This includes sheds, sleeping cabins or other accessory buildings or structures, including sheds and shed packages purchased from a store.
- Additions to existing buildings or structures.
- Renovations that involve structural framing.
- New or replacement decks.
- Replacement of windows or doors if the rough opening size is enlarged.
- Relocation or addition of plumbing fixtures.
- Replacement of interior water supply or drain pipes.
- Repair or replacement of all types of building foundations.
Projects that DO NOT Require a Building Permit
It is not necessary to obtain building permits to perform the following work. However, you must still comply with the requirements of the Township of Carlow/Mayo's Comprehensive Zoning By-law and, if applicable, the Ontario Building Code.
- Accessory buildings with a floor area of 10 square metres (108 ft²) or less. Note: Zoning By-law requirements must be followed.
- Swimming pools and hot tubs.
- Replacement of plumbing fixtures (toilet, sink, bathtub, shower, hot water tank) in their original locations.
- Replacement of windows or doors provided the rough opening size does not change.
- Replacement of shingles or other roofing material. However, if you are replacing or adding new roof trusses or rafters or changing the roof material example, shingle to metal, a building permit is required.
If the above lists do not include specifics related to your project, or if you are not sure whether a permit will be required, please contact the Building Department.
How do I get a building permit?
Please contact the building department to obtain a checklist of requirements specific to your project.
How much does a building permit cost?
|Building Types||Fee payable per square foot|
Minimum Building Permit Fee
|Residential Dwelling (seasonal/hunt camps)||$ 0.75 per square foot|
|Wood stove/Chimney/Plumbing||$ 100.00|
|Renovation||$ 50.00 plus 1% of construction cost|
|Garage/Accessory Building/Deck||$ 0.25 per square foot|
|Farm Building||$ 0.30 per square foot|
|Commercial/Industrial/Institutional||$ 0.50 per square foot|
|Change of Use||$ 50.00 plus 1% of construction cost|
|Residential Sewage System|
|Swimming Pool||$ 100.00|
|Stop Work Order/Order to Comply with Act or Building Code||$ 50.00|
|Work started without obtaining permit||$ 300.00|
|Building Permit Renewal (bi-annual)||$ 100.00|
|Other structures (towers, etc)||$ 8.00 per $1000.00 construction value|
|Designated Structures (retaining walls)||$ 100.00|
What happens if I build without a permit?
As a property owner, it’s your responsibility to ensure that a building permit is obtained, even if you are hiring a builder or contractor. If you are unsure whether you need a permit, contact the Building Department to inquire. The Building By-law and the Ontario Building Code Act have penalties of up to $50,000 upon conviction for illegal construction. The costs to the property owner becomes much higher due to legal/engineering requirements.
Other Permits & Approvals
- Electrical permits and inspections fall under the jurisdiction of the Electrical Safety Authority (ESA). It is the responsibility of the homeowner or builder to contact the ESA for proper approvals.
- Septic system permits and approvals fall under the jurisdiction of the Township of Carlow/Mayo and ARE required as part of the building process.
- An entrance permit is required to install a new entrance on your property, to change the location of an existing one, or to install a second entrance. Entrance approvals are handled by the Roads Department.
- New civic addresses (9-1-1 numbers) for vacant lots are acquired through the Township of Carlow/ Mayo municipal office.