Font Size

Services & Departments

Building Permits

Projects That Require a Building Permit

Under the Ontario Building Code Act, a building permit is required to construct, demolish, renovate, alter, install or change the use of a building. The following is a list of typical projects or situations that require the issuance of a building permit prior to construction:

  • New buildings or structures greater than 10 square metres (108 ft²) in area, measured by the outside dimensions. This includes sheds, sleeping cabins or other accessory buildings or structures, including sheds and shed packages purchased from a store.
  • Additions to existing buildings or structures.
  • Renovations that involve structural framing.
  • New or replacement decks.
  • Replacement of windows or doors if the rough opening size is enlarged.
  • Relocation or addition of plumbing fixtures.
  • Replacement of interior water supply or drain pipes.
  • Repair or replacement of all types of building foundations.

Projects that DO NOT Require a Building Permit

It is not necessary to obtain building permits to perform the following work. However, you must still comply with the requirements of the Township of Carlow/Mayo's Comprehensive Zoning By-law and, if applicable, the Ontario Building Code.

  • Accessory buildings with a floor area of 10 square metres (108 ft²) or less.  Note: Zoning By-law requirements must be followed.
  • Fences.
  • Swimming pools and hot tubs.
  • Replacement of plumbing fixtures (toilet, sink, bathtub, shower, hot water tank) in their original locations.
  • Replacement of windows or doors provided the rough opening size does not change.
  • Replacement of shingles or other roofing material.  However, if you are replacing or adding new roof trusses or rafters or changing the roof material example, shingle to metal, a building permit is required.

If the above lists do not include specifics related to your project, or if you are not sure whether a permit will be required, please contact the Building Department.

How do I get a building permit?

Please contact the building department to obtain a checklist of requirements specific to your project.  

How much does a building permit cost?

Building Types Fee payable per square foot

Minimum Building Permit Fee


Residential Dwelling (seasonal/hunt camps) $ 0.75 per square foot
Wood stove/Chimney/Plumbing $ 100.00 
Renovation $ 50.00 plus 1% of construction cost
Garage/Accessory Building/Deck $ 0.25 per square foot
Farm Building $ 0.30 per square foot
Commercial/Industrial/Institutional $ 0.50 per square foot
Change of Use $ 50.00 plus 1% of construction cost
Demolition $   50.00
Residential Sewage System  
  •  Class II & III
$ 150.00
  • Class IV & V
$ 450.00
  • Repair
$ 200.00
Swimming Pool $ 100.00
Stop Work Order/Order to Comply with Act or Building Code $   50.00
Work started without obtaining permit $ 300.00
Building Permit Renewal (bi-annual) $ 100.00
Other structures (towers, etc) $ 8.00 per $1000.00 construction value
Designated Structures (retaining walls) $ 100.00
Re-inspection $ 100.00

What happens if I build without a permit?

As a property owner, it’s your responsibility to ensure that a building permit is obtained, even if you are hiring a builder or contractor. If you are unsure whether you need a permit, contact the Building Department to inquire.  The Building By-law and the Ontario Building Code Act have penalties of up to $50,000 upon conviction for illegal construction. The costs to the property owner becomes much higher due to legal/engineering requirements.

Other Permits & Approvals

  • Electrical permits and inspections fall under the jurisdiction of the Electrical Safety Authority (ESA). It is the responsibility of the homeowner or builder to contact the ESA for proper approvals.
  • Septic system permits and approvals fall under the jurisdiction of the Township of Carlow/Mayo and ARE required as part of the building process.
  • An entrance permit is required to install a new entrance on your property, to change the location of an existing one, or to install a second entrance. Entrance approvals are handled by the Roads  Department.
  • New civic addresses (9-1-1 numbers) for vacant lots are acquired through the Township of Carlow/ Mayo municipal office.


North Hastings
Ontario Trillium Foundation