Services & Departments
Fire & Safety
The Township of Carlow/Mayo does not have a fire department.
The Township of Carlow/Mayo does have a Municipal Forest Fire Management Agreement with the Ministry of Natural Resources to extinguish grass, brush and forest fires.
If you have a fire please call 9-1-1 for the appropriate authorities to be notifed.
There is no day burning allowed. No fire permits are issued in the Township of Carlow/Mayo.
Open Air Burning Season is in effect from April 1 to October 31 of each year.
During fire season you DO NOT require a fire permit providing you follow these guidelines:
- The fire is started no sooner than 7:00 p.m. and extinguished no later than 7:00 a.m.
- The piled material to be burned is less than two metres in diameter and less than two metres high.
- If burning grass or leaves, the total area to be burned does not exceed one hectare and the length of the flaming edge does not exceed 30 metres.
The Forest Fires Prevention Act also stipulates:
- A responsible person must tend the fire until it is extinguished and have adequate tools or water to contain the fire.
- The fire must be at least two metres from any flammable materials.
A permit is not required for incinerators providing they are:
- An enclosed device constructed entirely of non-combustible material.
- Covered by a screen having a mesh size of not more than five millimetres.
- At least five metres from any forest or woodland and at least two metres from any flammable material.
- A responsible person monitors the fire until it is extinguished.
Fires for cooking or warmth may be started anytime during the fire seasons providing:
- The site of the fire is bare rock or non-combustible material.
- The fire is at least one metre from any flammable material.
- The space above the fire is at least three metres from vegetation.
- The fire does not exceed one metre in height and one metre in diameter.
Restricted Fire Zone
If the fire hazard becomes extreme, the Minister of Natural Resources may declare a Restricted Fire Zone (RFZ). You will hear these announcements on your local radio. When a RFZ is in effect, no open air burning is allowed. This includes campfires that are not in an approved organized campground.
Municipalities may prohibit all open air burning before the MNR implements a Restricted Fire Zone.
You should always check with your local municipality before starting a fire.
Please watch what and where you burn!
Township of Carlow/Mayo is serviced by the Bancroft O.P.P. In an emergency please call 9-1-1.
In an emergency please call 9-1-1.
Community Emergency Management Coordinator is available at the municipal office to povide information and/or assist you. Newsletters; brochures; helpful information is available in the municipal office and on the towship website. Please call 613-332-1760 if you require assistance.
Quinte Health Care North Hastings
Telephone No. 613-332-2825
Please contact Hydro One for updated information with regard to restoration of service.
24 Hour Telephone No. 1-800-434-1235